(any steak can be used as a substitute)
- 4 boneless Svante’s New York Strip steaks
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 cup basil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¼ cup of nuts, (pecans are my favorite)
- ¼ cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- At least an hour before cooking, preferably 4-6 hours ahead, marinate the steaks in the refrigerator by putting them in a large sealable plastic bag along with the olive oil, garlic and dash of salt and pepper. Take the steaks out of the refrigerator a half hour before cooking so they can come to room temperature before grilling.
- To make the pesto, combine the basil, garlic, nuts and cheese in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. With the processor running, slowly pour in the oil and add salt and pepper to taste. Add extra oil if the pesto is sticky. Set aside.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large grill pan over medium-high heat. Or fire up the grill. Take the steaks out of the marinade. Cook to desired doneness, about four minutes per side for medium-rare. We recommend 3 minutes on indirect heat and the last minute on direct heat. Transfer steaks to serving plates and let rest for five minutes.
- Spoon the pesto over each steak.