Flat Iron Steaks with Mushroom and Leek Topping (Serves 4-6)
- 2-3 lbs of Svante’s Flat Iron steaks
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 clove garlic
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 leeks chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Chopped parsley, optional
- At least an hour before cooking, preferably 4-6 hours ahead, marinate the steaks in the refrigerator by putting them in a large sealable plastic bag along with the olive oil, garlic and dash of salt and pepper. Take the steaks out of the refrigerator a half hour before cooking so they can come to room temperature before grilling.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large grill pan over medium-high heat. Or fire up the grill. Take the steaks out of the marinade. Cook to desired doneness, about four minutes per side for medium-rare. We recommend 3 minutes on indirect heat and the last minute on direct heat. Transfer steaks to carving plate and let rest for five to ten minutes while you make the mushroom and leek topping
- Put the oil in a frying pan, add the chopped garlic and sauté for a minute. Add the leeks and salute until soft and then add mushrooms and cook until soft. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice steak on carving plate; spoon mushrooms and leeks over steaks and add chopped parsley on top if you have it.